When I started this blog under a year ago, I wanted to differentiate it from other popular fashion blogs (by drop dead gorgeous model-esque bloggers) by featuring, well short legged non model-like me and other gorgeous everyday women who Tyra Banks would describe as ‘fiercely real’ with varying heights, body shapes, personalities and nationalities. What I’ve found along the way, however, is that most of my friends and clients either fall into the boyish straight body type or the pear shaped category (Recaps here) who are generally petite and super fun to style but not equally representative of the population or my vision.
I was therefore really excited to work with and style Zuzu who has a different body shape to mine and previous clients. What I loved about the sessions was that we started from the very beginning: In Zuzu’s wardrobe and worked our way up to the second shopping and styling session. Despite trying to find a suitable date for what seemed like forever (okay, just over 6 months), the timing could not have worked out better given Zuzu recently moved houses and de-cluttering to make room for more pieces to add to her existing wardrobe was a priority.
As with all my styling sessions, let’s get to know Zuzu a little better:
Zuzu’s Profile Stats
- Zuzu’s Height: Approx 5 ft 3” (1.6m)
- Skin tone: Fair
- Build: Medium
- Body shape: Apple. Refer to this post if you need a reminder
- General Clothing size: Size M-L depending on cut, UK/AUS 10-12.
- Lifestyle: Busy with work and furnishing her newly purchased home and this young lady has a BIG weakness for designer handbags!
- Shopping preference: Wants basis
- Shopping frequency: Regular, every few weeks
- Style Preference: Casual, preppy, work orientated
- Personality (in three words): Career driven, bubbly and & positive (All in my opinion!)
Zuzu’s Styling criteria
- For this wardrobe refresh and styling session, Zuzu wanted to discard items in her wardrobe that no longer fit her, having lost weight gradually over the past few years and identify items which required updating or that were missing altogether. For the shopping session, Zuzu wanted outfits that were different from her usual style and was open to a slightly edgier look.
And so the culling and list-making began …
Now, guys, I honestly thought I shopped a lot … but let me tell you something, this young lady could give Rebecca Bloomwood a run for her money! :P She had a lot of clothes and one of the recurring themes we discovered was that she had multiples of the same garment in several different colours and safe shades and items that only matched one or two pieces in the wardrobe. We talked this through and removed pieces which no longer fit Zuzu’s changing shape and lifestyle. One of the items we got rid of was her leather jacket.
Like most classic apple body shapes, Zuzu carries most of the weight in the middle region around her waistline and has enviously, slim legs, arms and hips and these were the areas we wanted to focus on and show off. The current leather jacket that Zuzu owned was both too large now and very boxy which didn’t suit her body shape and actually created extra weight around the mid-region. We decided that an updated leather jacket with simple detailing with a slimline silhouette, amongst other items, would make its way onto our shopping list to help create that definition around her waistline.
Tips for dressing for an Apple Shaped body
- Wrap dresses which define your waistline and lower rounded and V necklines help create definition and highlight your bustline
- A-line and full skirts will make your waist look smaller.
- Show of your legs with skirts and dresses that are just above the knee
- Opt for single breasted tailored jackets that create slimming torso
During our shopping and styling session, I chose a dress for Zuzu which cinched her waist (and added a thick belt to emphasise this) as well as a patterned v-neck dress with a full skirt which really gave the illusion of a hour glass shape. If you’re apple shaped, avoid cropped boxy jackets and gravitate towards the slimming single buttoned simple tailored jackets.
Great minds think alike and we both found the perfect leather jacket for Zuzu which was more current, suited her body shape and was both comfortable and within her budget. Here are few of shots post shopping session…
- Old COS casual dress
- Chanel Classic Handbag (Jumbo sized)
Thanks Zuzu for being such a pleasure to work with and such a great sport for being featured here on T-Styled Me.
If you are looking for styling tips or are interested in a personal styling consultation, feel free to drop me a line.