Growing up with an Asian background, I was taught to avoid wearing the colour yellow given my already ‘yellow’ skin but more and more I find myself drawn to wearing these various shades: Gold, earthy creams, brassy olives and warm mustards and I even noticed that my taste in jewellery has slowly shifted from delicate silver pieces to bold statement jewellery and finer gold vintage pieces.
I’ll admit that wearing yellow can be a challenge to coordinate but while I was in Melbourne a few months ago, my friend Poosilla let me style her using the pieces she’d transferred into her new wardrobe (having recently moved into a new apartment with her fiancé) and I was pleasantly surprised to find several yellow based pieces and many brightly coloured items had surpassed the cull. I know a lot of us tend to do this: Summer tops get thrown in the Summer pile and we look at our dark Winter wardrobe and wonder why our clothes are so dull and boring and we now totally ‘have nothing to wear.’ I thought it’d be fun to pull out items which she’d purchased a few seasons back and put an outfit together that was tran-seasonal, fit her bubbly personality and lifestyle and prove that you can wear yellow, even if you have an Asian background and it’s definitely ok to wear investment styled pieces even if it’s not current stock.
As with all my online styling sessions, let’s get get to know a little more about Poosilla:
Poosilla’s Profile Stats
- Poosilla’s Height: Approx 5 ft 4” (1.64m)
- Skin tone: Medium – warm
- Build: Slim
- Body shape: Pear/hourglass Refer to this post if you need a reminder
- General Clothing size: Size Small – Medium i.e UK/AUS 8-10.
- Lifestyle: Busy and social – Poosilla works and plays hard but is guaranteed to always be up for Friday night drinks, a boogie on the dance floor and any time is latte time!
- Shopping preference: Needs basis with the occasional splurge
- Shopping frequency: Purchases on average every few months.
- Style Preference: Fun, colourful and open to different styles
- Personality (in three words): Bubbly, Social and funny (All in my opinion!)
Poosilla’s Styling criteria
- For this styling session, Poosilla had no criteria and allowed me free ‘artistic’ range – She modelled for me to practice my styling skills and I wanted to play with unusually bold and bright colours in her wardrobe. I wanted to show that you can mix classic timeless pieces with bolder Summer or Winter pieces to obtain different looks from your existing wardrobe to avoid always having shopping for new pieces (as gratifying as that can be!)